AN EVENING WITH TONY BENNETT

TONY BENNETT IN CONCERT SEPTEMBER 2l, 20l0 WELLS FARGO CENTER FOR THE ARTS SANTA ROSA, CALIFORIA


I got to see the world's most boyish octogenarian and an international treasure in this intimate l,600 seat theater, no seat is more than 75 feet from the stage, providing a level of intimacy between artist and the audience unlike any other in Northern California.

OPENING ACT: Tony's daughter started the show, sang 3 songs, and dedicated one , "YOU'RE A LUCKY GUY", to her father. Later , Tony had her come out to sing a duet , "LIVE UNTIL YOU DIE".

Tony came on stage approx. 8:l5PM and never left stage until 9:45PM, not bad for a man 84 years old. I noted that unlike any other performer I've seen, Tony had no water bottles on stage, he did his entire act without a sip of water. His first song was, "WATCH WHAT HAPPENS", with only a 4 piece band behind him. As I watched what was happening I thought it was incredible, the number of songs Tony sang that night, and no prompter showing him the lyrics to the songs. He told audience, "I've been singing for 60 years, I love it so much." Sometimes during a number, Tony would spin around, or do a short tap dance, and the crowd would go nuts!

Tony Bennett is orginally from Queens, N.Y. A son of Italian immigrants who ran a grocery store. His father as a child had a wonderful singing voice, his father use to sing from the hilltop to his Italian village below.

Bennetts big break came in l949 when Bob Hope noticed him working with Pearl Bailey in Greenwich Village. As Bennett explained to us, "Bob Hope came down to check out my act. He liked my singing so much that after the show he came back to see me in my dressing room and said,'Come on kid, you're going to come to the Paramount and sing with me.' But first he told me he didn't care for my stage name, (Joe Bani) and asked me what my real name was. I told him, 'My name is Anthony Dommick Benadetto, and he said, "We'll call you Tony Bennett. And that's how it happened--a new Americanized name."

Few artists can claim such popularity in both the l950's and the 2,000's as Mr. Bennett can. Tony told us, "they say I'm making some sort of come-back, comeback? I never went away." During the show, while singing a slow song, in middle of number, someone from the audience sneezed very loudly, and Tony, without missing a beat, said, "bless you," and continued right back to the song.

A wonderful moment occurred when Tony told us his wife was in audience, and he dedicated, "BECAUSE OF YOU," to her. During his concerts, as is his habit, he sang one song a cappella and without amplification. That song was, "FLY ME TO THE MOON," when got to the line, "IN OTHER WORDS, I LOVE YOU," he pulled his arms staight out to the audience, saying to his fans, he truly appreciated us.

TONY THE PAINTER: Tony is the rare person who has two great gifts. He is a wonderful painter. Tony doesn't own a house, (never has) he currently lives in an apt. that over-looks Central Park. "I always dreamed of having a place that would catch the afternoon light so I could paint the park over and over.

CLOSING OF SHOW: After Tony finished his final song, the crowd exploded, sprang to it's feet, and the night was done.

PARTIAL LIST OF SONGS TONY SANG:

"SIN YOU SINNERS."

"I WANT TO BE AROUND"

"BLVD. OF BROKEN DREAMS" (his first hit, l950)

"THE GOOD LIFE", (he joked, "this is for Lady Ga Ga")

"WHEN YOUR SMILING"

"RAGS TO RICHES"

"SMILE" ("Charlie Chaplin who wrote it, called me and said my version was his favorite")

"ONCE IN MY LIFE" ("Stevie Wonder wrote it, and no song has been sung by more singers than this one")

"I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO" (This was not the closing song)

"THE BEST IS YET TO COME".