JOHNNY CARSON'S GUEST HOSTS

By end of the l970's, Johnny Carson work week began to get shorter and more guest hosts filled in. In the 60's, Jerry Lewis and Joey Bishop were deputized, hosting frequently. Singer Jimmy Dean was the first guest host for Johnny in l963. Joey Bishop hosted a record ll7 times before landing his own talk show on ABC. Joey Bishop had Shelley Winters on one time. She was scheduled second, but the first guest was late coming. I asked if Shelly was here and they told me 'yes' and without thinking, I said, 'Ladies and gentleman, let's welcome Shelley Winters. "She was in her dressing room naked," Bishop says, "So she threw on a fur coat and came running out. I said, 'Shelley, it's a beautiful coat, but you're not going to wear that for the whole interview..." Winters nodded her head yes, "If I take this off, this place will be a garage. I'm naked underneath." Bishop couldn't believe it, so the actress walked Bishop upstage and opened her coat with her back to the audience. The audience cheered her on. "I got a good look and I turned to the audience and siad, "Yes, she's naked."